Ask a Urologist   »  

Pain in genital area, stomach ache, mucus with stools, abdominal cramps, urge to urinate constantly. Taking Metronidazole for BV

I have bacterial vaginosis, currently on metronidazole 500 and I have taken 7 out of 14 pills. This started as what I thought was a UTI. I was having the feeling of needing to urinate every 5 minutes, and I was unable to urinate to 'relief'. Starting just a few hours ago, I am having a sharp pain in my genital area. The pain feels like it is coming from what is most easily described as the urethral opening and inside my vagina (towards the top). This sharp pain did not start until today. I am also having terrible stomach aches, and feeling like I need to have a bowel movement but I am unable to. I would not say that I am constipated (yet) as I was able to have three 'normal' (at least for me) bowel movements yesterday. Today, I had what looked like mucus come out in one attempt to have a bowel movement. I feel like I have menstrual cramps, but I had finished my period on the day that I went to the doctor originally about the original issue. I had started feeling better yesterday, but now I am again feeling the urge to urinate constantly, with little relief, it seems to get worse as the night goes on, the morning times I am able to urinate with relief. I am in a lot of pain, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, I would say I am at an 7-8. Sometimes even reaching 9, (for the sharp pain). Please tell me if I need to go back to the doctor, or something I can do to not be in so much pain.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

For pain relief you can take one tablet of analgesic anti-inflammatory like Meftal spas ds stat & s.o.s.

As you might be suffering with stone in urinary bladder, sonography of lower abdomen and routine test of urine is required.

If pus cells are present, culture & sensitivity test will also be required.

Thus you should consult an Urologist, so that he can advise to tests and prescribe treatment on the basis of report. You can also upload reports for further discussion.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma