Pain in foot, heard a crunch after ankle gave out, hurts while walking, tender, taking ibrufen. Sprain or fracture?

Today at work, my ankle gave out on me and I felt a pain in my foot and heard a crunch. I sat down and the pain went away. Now tonight I woke up with moderate pain on the right side of my foot. It hurts when I walk, it hurts to touch it. There is no swelling of bruising. The pain is pretty constant. Taking ibuprofen has helped a bit. Did I sprain or fracture my foot?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 57 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

Your history most probably suggests that you may have a sprain in the ankle.

I suggest the following:

1. Immobilize your foot.
2. Apply ice on the sprained area.
3. Visit an Orthopedician and get your x-ray foot done to rule out fracture as early diagnosis is the key to successful treatment.
4. In the meantime you may take a combination of analgesic + anti inflammatory drug rather than plain ibuprofen.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.