Pain in fifth metatarsal, lumps, varicose ties, deep vein incompetence. MRI done, no fracture, tendinitis. DVT?

I have had severe pain at the base of my Fith metatarsal and a small notice lump also I have had an MRI which says there is no fracture or tendonitis. It states though that "prominent veins are noted within planter soft tissue extending proximal lay into the region of the posterior tibial veins with the appearances suggesting varicose ties and XXXXXXX vein incompetence.

Pain noticed on holidays after long haul flight
I did know the painful area on a table unsure if this is related.
Base of Fith metatarsal in very tender
No pain while resting but increasing gets worse to difficulty in weight bearing through the day
I do not have any other leg or calf pain
I am thirty seven years old and obese

Could this be a dvt.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) reports are suggestive of varicose ties and XXXXXXX vein insufficiency. Varicose veins are enlarged veins or swollen, twisted, and sometimes painful veins that have filled with an abnormal collection of blood. However these are not caused by DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis).

But in case of XXXXXXX vein incompetence, it may develop in the same way as in the superficial venous system, with the degeneration of the valve cusps resulting in reverse flow in these veins. In other patients it may develop following a XXXXXXX vein thrombosis. Hence DVT is a possibility for such symptoms.

You may get a duplex ultrasound examination of the extremity to see blood flow in the veins, and to rule out other disorders of the legs (such as a blood clot). Rarely, an angiogram of the legs may be performed to rule out other disorders. For this you should get it done from a vascular surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.