Pain in entire leg and balancing problem. ACL, PCL rupture in knee. Had surgery and physiotherapy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I met an accident 4 months back and it caused ACL, PCL rupture in my right knee, i underwent surgery in XXXXXXX 2013,where it was reconstructed and miniscus as also operated.
After physio therapy , medicines i am now recoverd and able to walk by my self.

But its not 100% fit, and i cannot bend my knee 180% ,also get pain in entire leg if i walk more.Also there is balancing problem while getting down staircase.
i need specific advice on it.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

You are in good phase of recovery.It takes 6-9 months to return to heavy work.
For full knee flexion symmetrical to the uninvolved side, I suggest you to continue passive flexion exercises. Ask your physiotherapist for open chain hamstring exercises.
Do not worry, as your muscles around knee get strengthen, your pain in leg will subside gradually after more walk.
Balancing problem while getting down the stair case occurs due to lax in ligaments.This will gradually subside with your physiotherapy programme.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Pain in entire leg and balancing problem. ACL, PCL rupture in knee. Had surgery and physiotherapy? 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the valuable advice.

I am now doing my exercises on myself, whenever I find time as I am back to office since last month.
Please advise me on below points for further improvements

I feel that the transfer of weight is uneven while walking and it falls mostly on the right part of my knee, where I feel pain points.
Also I cannot put my leg in one position for longer duration as it gets pain, will this all subside with the exercise?

Also can you advice on my diet which can help me to recover and gain strength to my muscles.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

Unevenness of weight while walking is due to some laxity of ligaments. As your ligaments are reconstructed,these problems are common. But do not worry about this.These problems will get subsided gradually with regular exercises.

I suggest you to continue quadriceps strengthening exercises. You can do this simply by raising your leg and holding it for 10 seconds(count 1-10).

I advice you to take diet XXXXXXX in calcium,vitamins and minerals.Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. These will help you to recover soon and will give strength to your weakened muscles.

Hope the information was helpful, if you have any further queries I am happy to answer, if no kindly close the query & rate it.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Pain in entire leg and balancing problem. ACL, PCL rupture in knee. Had surgery and physiotherapy? 24 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for advice again,
I just got few more doubts to clarify.

Post-surgery 48 hrs, x-ray was taken and my surgeon confirmed that its fine, since then no x-ray/MRI is done, do we need it again to check improvement/issues?

I feel that operated knee is not responding as the other normal knee ,at few instances like,

1. While walking on slope path, normal leg automatically picks up speed, but this one does not respond, causing coordination problem.
2. If we put a step onto sideways or get a sudden Jerk, while walking again it gives pain.
3. While standing straight, I could see that this knee is still swollen and not straightened enough as normal knee.

Do i relate the above said with weakness in muscles or i need to live with it.

Also, any precaution’s you could suggest of?

Thanks again.
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

It is advisable to get a xray/MRI done between 4 and 8 month to see the graft changes and fixation site.
The issues you had mentioned are likely due to the weaknes of the muscles around and some stiffness of joint.
I suggest you to continue the physiotherapy and knee range of motion exercises to regain the good function of your affected knee. Also do regular follow up with you surgeon at definitive interval.

Hope this will helps you.

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon.