Pain in elbow, hip, neck, shoulder. Exercising and stretching helps. What do you suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi my name is XXXXXXX iv been a beauty therapist for 25years with no aches and pains but in the past 2 years iv had pain fiirst in my left elbow then my lower right hip my neck and my right shoulder joint at times the whole right side from my hip to my neck feels brused and sore, exercise and stretching has helped a little but iv only recently started stretching i feel better straight after the week end, as iv not been practicing beauty therapy and not standing for lon g lengths of time ov er a bed twisted . I probably need to stop what im doing but it is difficult as i own my own business and clients ask for me. At the same time it scares me i might be doing serious damage to myself if i dont stop, do you think i am, can you suggest what i can do to help myself get stronger until i am able to change my situation or do you think I have something more serious?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

First thing you need to do is relax. This doesn't seem to be a serious and you are likely to be fine very soon.
You need not to stop practising your beauty therapy, but you need some modification in your work .

I advice you to-

Continue doing stretch exercises.It will help you a lot.Take frequent breaks between your work.
You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the pain and improving the pain in right side of body due to your work stress.

Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery.
Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

Taking mild pain killers will help you. Doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Pain in elbow, hip, neck, shoulder. Exercising and stretching helps. What do you suggest? 7 hours later
Thankyou for confirming what I thought my problem was. I will do all that you suggested your a great help and appreciate the quick response. This was an easy way to ease my mind will defineately recommend to anyone needing quick answers.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

I am glad to know that I could address your concern.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at WWW.WWWW.WW
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.