Pain in chest, while lifting, pain on standing, costochondritis, musculoskeletal problems

I've been getting pains in the right side of my chest just where my chest muscle meets my stomach. I first noticed it when I picked up my newborn son and it seemed to happen every time I held him. Now i'm getting the pain whe i'm not holding him, but I seem to only get it when I'm standing.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 44 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

From the description of the symptoms, it seems that you might be having pain due to costochondritis or musculoskeletal issues.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It causes sharp pain in the costosternal joint — where your ribs and breastbone are joined by rubbery cartilage.

Costochondritis usually goes away on its own and is short-lived. To ease your pain you might use NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve).

The other causes of pain in the right side below your ribcage, include hepatitis (inflammation of the liver), gall stones or colitis. But these usually present with pain, that is not affected by positional changes and associated with nausea, vomiting, fever, fatigue and jaundice (liver and GB inflammation).

In case of any doubt, you can forward them to me, and i will be glad to help you out.

I hope this helps.