Pain in chest and left shoulder. Having Hiatus Hernia. What could this be?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Good afternoon
Today while i was cycling on my bike i felt a left little pain in my chest & my left shoulder without anything else .
For your info i have Hiatus Hernia .
What do you think it will be .
Thanks
XXXX
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Angina Pectoris

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear XXXXXXX

I would like to consider the possibility of Angina Pectoris at exertion which is one of the manifestation of Ischaemic Heart disease. Kindly get Electrocardiogram (ECG) / Stress ECG test and Echocardiography done. Any left side chest, shoulder or upper arm pain one has to consider the possibility of Ischaemic Heart Disease and rule it out. As mentioned by you, you have hiatus hernia, it won't cause such symptoms.
See your Physician at the earliest.
I hope it helped.

Follow-up: Pain in chest and left shoulder. Having Hiatus Hernia. What could this be? 28 minutes later
Because i am almost in the desert coz i work in the petrolium section & i don't have a medical center near by . But what is the symptoms of the angina . How much time do i have to feel this pain to say it angina ?
Also i did electrocardiogram 8 months ago & it was normal ?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stress ECG and Echocardiography needed.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the followup.

Pain due to Angina occurs after exertion or exercise, duration of pain may vary from 1 to 15 minutes, but usually Less than 20 minutes. It is usually relieved after taking rest. Normal ECG does not rule out Ischemic Heart Disease, so I had earlier instructed you to get a Stress ECG and Echocardiography done.

Angina usually causes squeezing type of pain in chest and sometimes is dull aching which occurs following exertion or exercise. I request you to see a physician at earliest. Meanwhile avoid activity which cause the symptoms.

8 months is a sufficient enough time for you to develop some narrowing of the arteries of the heart, so it would be in your best interests to seek medical care at the earliest.

I hope it helped.

Follow-up: Pain in chest and left shoulder. Having Hiatus Hernia. What could this be? 22 minutes later
Why i felt this on cycling while when i go upstairs for 9 floors i feel normal . Just the feeling of being tired & deep breathing .

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out IHD if you have recurrent symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Namaste
Greetings of the day
I had earlier mentioned to you that pain which occurs on exertion one has to rule out Anginal pain. As you have felt this pain on cycling only, it could be just a muscle spasm around the Pectoral and shoulder muscle because of cycling. Taking simple analgesics like diclofenac will help. If you develop the complaints again after exertion or walking or physical activity, then do Kindly get Ischaemic Heart Disease (IHD) ruled out by your Physician.
I hope it helped.
Have a wonderful day

Follow-up: Pain in chest and left shoulder. Having Hiatus Hernia. What could this be? 31 hours later
Good morning

When you advised me to make a checks i insisted to do it that's why i took the helicopter to the nearest city from my work site & I did an ECG on my heart & it was very normal then the doctor (cardiologist) has checked me & told me that i am fine but i am anexious . What's your opinion .

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
If your test are within normal limits then there is no reason for further concern. Try to reduce job related stress.