Pain in breast and left arm after injury, temporarily disappeared with pain relieving pills. Best thing to treat problem?

Hi, I'm going on 38 this year. I'm having a problem with my left breast. I happened to hit my left breast last month when I forced to open the screwed wall clock case. It was so painful and I tried to massage it but the pain lasted for 3 days and pain disappeared when I started to take pain reliever pills. However, the pain came back 2 days ago and it bothered me when driving or streching my left arm. I noticed it, too, that the pain from my left breast extends to my left arm. I took pain reliver pills again except for today and I felt again the pain but it's as strong as before, . I'm scared that it could develop to a cancer, God forbid; I hope it won't happen. What is the best thing to treat this problem? Should I see a doctor? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 37 minutes later

Important aspects of your query are:
• 38 year old female
• History of trauma to breast
• Complain of left breast pain extending to arm
• Worry related to breast cancer

First and most important thing in your case is that history of breast trauma is not a cause for Breast cancer and breast cancer usually are painless. So overall, your history does not favor breast cancer although its possibility cannot be ruled out.

Your history favors more towards development of some cyst in breast due to trauma which is getting inflammed now and giving rise to pain. It is extending to arm because of inflammation spreading or immunological reaction in axillary lymph nodes.

In any case I suggest you to visit your mammogram, USG and other investigation as advised by your doctor.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.