Pain in bottom of ribs, movable lump, hurts when pressed. What could it be?

I have been having slight pain on and off for several weeks at the bottom of my left rib, i dont remember bumping in to anything, i dont play sports or anything. im a petite 40 Y/O, 5'2' 105lbs. (pretty bony) today the pain was a bit more noticeble and upon pressing around i now feel a small pea sized
lump thats moveable, the area hurts a bit more when i press on it. at times it feels on that last bottom rib, other times it feels like its gone. the left side of my rib cage seems more prounounced than the right side now that i notice...not sure if thats related.

what could it be? do i need to rush to the hospital? i was having some unrelated abdominal pain 3 months ago and had an abdominal sonogram which was all normal then. im concerned since today it seems to hurt more, not excruciating but it does come and go, especially if i rest the laptop on my belly.
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
From your description, it seems that the pain you are having is musculoskeletal in origin. The small pea sized lump could be due to a soft tissue swelling like sebaceous cyst.
This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week on taking adequate rest.
You can do a hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel in the area for symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain in bottom of ribs, movable lump, hurts when pressed. What could it be? 3 days later
Thank you Dr. Tayal.
It is lessening in pain upon your advice, still there
but not as painful.

many thanks to you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help. It is likely to subside completely in next 7-10 days.
If you have no more questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards