Pain in bottom of both feet. Diagnosed with stage IV bile duct cancer. Have kidney, heart and lung diseases. Is the foot pain related to any of these?

Please, my dad had terrific pain in the bottom of both feet which worsened over the days. He was seen by a podiatrist, had x-rays and was told possible gout, but not really sure. Two days later he turned jaundice, was given a cat scan, had an ERCP and was diagnosed with stage IV bile duct cancer, probably in his pancreas and also his liver. The lymph nodes were affected. I'm sketchy on details because my dad has a pace maker and couldn't have an MRI. He has end state kidney disease, heart disease and lung disease. Is there anyway his foot pain could be related? it went away after being in the hospital for 7 days. Now, 7 days later the pain has returned. Thank you so much for your help. XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 44 minutes later

He is having multiple system problems and bile duct cancer with distant metastasis.Hence cause for pain in both feet can be multifactorial like hypocalcemia, peripheral neuropathy and metastasis due to bile duct cancer.

Among all these factors bile duct cancer metastasis is most likely cause of his pain.
Opioid analgesics like tramadol,tapentadol,hydrocodone,methadone or morphine can help in relieving pain.

For more information you can write back to me.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Pain in bottom of both feet. Diagnosed with stage IV bile duct cancer. Have kidney, heart and lung diseases. Is the foot pain related to any of these? 2 hours later
Thank you for your quick reply and information! It truly helps to have ideas to explore and understand the cancer better. I am grateful, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 5 hours later

You are welcome.

The five-year survival rate for people diagnosed with bile duct cancer depends on the location of the tumor and if or where it has spread. In your dad's case, the stage IV bile duct cancer has already spread to distant sites still radiotherapy, stent placement and surgery to relieve obstruction are options to prolong life and provide good symptom relief. In addition I think your doctors will plan palliative care treatment to provide him quality of life.

Hope this information has been helpful to you.

Good luck!