Pain in back side of head radiating to neck, front head. Have migraine. What could this be?

I have been having a dull, semi-sharp pain in the back of my head for about a week and a half now. It comes and goes. Sometimes the pain radiates down to my neck. It is generally quite brief but persistent. Occassionally, the pain will move to the front of my head. I have no other symptoms. It's concerning because it's all of a sudden and I've never had it before. I suffer from migraines on a primarily monthly basis (menstrual migraines) and have been since I was about 13 years old. (I'm 34 now). What could this be?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 16 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. It is a good question. It can be related to your blood pressure. Many factors may affect the blood pressure like the dose of medication. If it is recently given to you (the medication) the dose should be adjusted. It could be related to stress which causes secretion of hormones that cause the blood pressure to rise. The pattern and shape of your headache is very similar to the headaches that people with hypertension experience.
It could also be a tension headache which is frequently seen in people who have migraine. Let me know if you have any question. I wish you a good health.