Pain in back of nose and throat while doing exercise or getting stressed. How to treat this?

Simply put, when I exercise or when I get stressed I get painful irritation in the back of my nose at the top of my throat which makes me feel terrible. Where exactly the pain is is that it feels like its in my nose, so I can feel it when breathing in, but it also hurts whilst swallowing at the back of my nose where it meets my mouth/ throat. It becomes dry during exercise and then is very painful the next day. Its a direct cause, strenuous exercise causes it 100% as I have been having this for 3-4 years and it has stopped me from exercising. The pain usually increases until I get some sort of respiratory infection which makes me exhausted.

Many thanks.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 10 hours later

I am sorry to know that you are suffering a lot.

You feel pain at the back of the nose & also during swallowing.
Hence, some possibilities need to be considered.
Enlarged adenoid, lymph node, inflammations are the probable causes.

Sometimes exercise itself may cause inflammation in the upper airway. It is called exercise induced allergic reaction. As a result the adenoids become enlarged after exercise. Subsequently you develop difficulty in breathing & swallowing. These patients also develop repeated attack of nasal blockage & nasal discharge.

But it is better for you to examine by your doctor.
X-ray of the nasopharynx may also help you.

I hope, I have been some help.

Please write if you have any doubts.