Pain in back between shoulder blades in early morning. Is it related to GERD & does taking a tsp of baking soda help this?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Been having some pain in my back between my shoulder blades right in the middle. I think i experience it when I wake up in the morning and not sure if it is related to GERD?

I do lie flat in bed and eat late at night. I had read somewhere that I should sleep with my head elevated and not sure how true that is?

What is your suggestions? Could I take a tsp of baking soda everyday to help with this?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
As you yourself have suggested the most common cause of interscapular pain is reflux disease. Early morning symptoms also suggest a reflux etiology.
Other rare causes are mediastinal problems and aortic dissection quite rare at your age
The basic problem in reflux disease is an incompetent lower esophageal sphincter mechanism. The rflux is worse while lying down as compared to the upright posture as the gravity reduses reflux in upright posture. This is the logic of asking people with reflux to lie with the headend of the bed being elevated.
Other measures like diaphragmatic exercises to augment the lower esophageal sphincter and eating in small quantities will also help
Baking soda contains calcium carbonate and it produces CO2 on rection with the stomach acid. This can cause a lot of stomach discomfort and belching. Hence it is not advised now a days.
Hope this answers your quiries
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Pain in back between shoulder blades in early morning. Is it related to GERD & does taking a tsp of baking soda help this? 4 hours later
Can you see my labs from today? It is attached to my profile?

Is this good with the lab results and CT scan? Should I not worry at this point

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later
Hi and thanks for the followup.
The blood reports are fine and as I had written earlier, considering the age and the symptoms chances of any serious abnormality is low.
I would suggest you to take appropriate treatment for reflux for atleast 2 weeks before considering further investigations.
Dr XXXXXXX