Pain in back and pelvic area. Why is it swollen? Are they only period cramps?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Pain on my lower right side on my back also pain above my right side of my pelvic area also right back side slightly swollen. About two weeks back the pain in my pelvic area was really bad and I was have about 3-5 bm a day and it never felt like I was finished. I'm also about 15 days late for my period but that's not unusual. Not pregnant took 3 test all negative.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Pain in the lower right side of back with pain above right pelvic area can be due to-
1. Renal pathology like calculus. Investigations like urine analysis, urine culture and ultrasound examination will help in finding out the cause.
2. Nerve root syndromes: Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration

3. Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain like myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.

4. Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis
The pain you are having now is not likely to be related to the gut infection you had two weeks earlier. A proper examination and investigations by a physician will help in detecting the cause. The treatment will depend on the cause.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.