Pain in back and lower abdomen, obese. Ultrasound showing bulky uterus. Causes?

Infertility Specialist
i am 23 years female , i have a sharp pain on my lower abdomen on the left side , my GP adviced me a ultra sound and found a bulky uterus . what does it mean im really worried as im young but i am on obese side my bmi is 48% fat. please help is it because of weight it all started with a back pain in lower lumbar region and pain started to radiate to lower abdomen . the pain is there from 10 days now . my height is 4.10, weight is 61kg and all my fat is bulked on my hip region. what does bulky uterus mean im single never been pregnant ,i want to live healthy life
my report of bulky uterus is 90/30/40 mm . everything else is normal , ET =7mm
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 13 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
A bulky uterus means little enlarged uterus. The causes could include:

1) Adenomyosis: It is a condition where endometrial stroma is present in the uterine muscle leading to enlargement of uterus.
2) Fibroid uterus: Presence of fibroids in the uterus
3) Physiological: Some women normally have bulky uterus on ultrasound.
However, the present pain you are describing will not be because of bulky uterus. Please consult a gynaecologist for evaluating the ovaries for endometriosis or for presence of cysts. A gynaecologist will be able to differentiate the cause after examining you and seeing scan report or might be repeating another scan to check ovaries.
Also, please get urine examination done. Sometimes, simple UTI) also presents like this.
Let me reassure you that a bulky uterus per se does not carry any significance and is not associated with any problems in future.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for any further queries you have.

Wish you a healthy life

Dr.Mahesh Koregol