Pain in arm to shoulder. Is it pulled muscle?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Around three weeks ago, under my left arm radiating around to left back under shoulder blade, pain, but not severe began. When I wake up in the morning, there is virtually no pain. As the day progresses, I can really feel it. I can think of no causes in particular. I am female, age 64, active and in good health otherwise. Did I pull a muscle? Is it a manifestation of an old injury? I live in Costa Rica and would like to get some idea of possibilities before I go to San XXXXXXX to see a physician. Thank you. Costa Rica has 8-digit phone numbers - 2641-8148
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

It seems that you had a muscle pull at shoulder.

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory(diclofenac) gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen(motrin)1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food to relieve the pain.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for it to heal.

Hope this helps you.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Pain in arm to shoulder. Is it pulled muscle? 19 minutes later
How long does it take for this to heal?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

Generally it takes 3-4 weeks to heal.Do not worry.Follow these precautions for one more week. After this you need physiotherapy to strengthen muscles around your shoulder.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.