Pain in arm pit occurs while stretching, lifting. reason for this ?

I have a pain in my arm pit. The pain is like a number of pins being stuck into my arm pit. It only occurs when I stretch and try to lift something or sometimes moving in a certain way starts the pain for a couple of seconds.
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

From your symptoms it looks like damage or probably rupture of the muscle tendons in the area which has caused tendonitis. The other possibility is of throcaic outlet syndrome which is caused by compression of both the blood vessels and the nerves.

You need to get a MRI scan of the area and a physical examination.
I suggest you to apply cold compresses in the armpit and take some Ibuprofen after prescription from your doctor.

Give complete rest to the part and avoid doing any activity like raising your arms or stretching the arms which causes any further damage. Also avoid sleeping with the arm extended up behind the head.

Depending on the MRI findings, tendon repair and thoracic outlet syndrome may need a surgical repair but this is reserved for severe cases. So get a MRI done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.