Pain in arm. Not getting relief by ibuprofen. Any idea what could cause this?

Feb 2013

My daughter has recently started complaining of pain in her right arm at night (for the past week). Symptoms only seem to be present at night, but they are bad enough to wake her up crying in pain. Ibuprofen does not help,. Her arm does not appear to be swollen or bruised in any way, and she uses it fine during the day. Any idea what could cause this? On a related note, she was diagnosed with strep throat 3 weeks ago, but completed her 10-day course of anitboitics. Also, she broke her left arm (the other arm) a couple of months ago, but healed beautifully and her cast came off about 2 weeks ago.
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query,

As there is no swelling or bruising of right arm, the pain in this arm may be related to over usage and over strain of right arm. As the other arm was having cast because of fracture, this could be possible.

Another possibility is abnormal posture while sleeping. - putting head on right arm while sleeping or putting right arm in unusual postures during sleeping.

Sometimes growing pains may present; but usually they present in both limbs.

Since she is fine during the day, I do not feel any other organic pathology can explain her symptoms. If the symptoms persist, consult your Pediatrician to examine the arm to look for any tenderness or for any abnormality and to guide you.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.