Pain in anus while having erection. What could be the cause?

General Surgeon
How come I have pain sometimes in my anus When I have an erection? It does happen all the time, but I'm 42 years old and this would happen every once in a while since I was in my late 20's.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
A nerve called Pudendal nerve has a branch Inferior anal branch which supplies the external anal sphincter and perianal skin and another branch Dorsal nerve of penis supplies sensation and erectile function of the penis.
So,if the pudendal nerve gets stimulated with erection,its branch which supplies the external anal sphincter will cause pain in the anus.
You can minimise this with few manoevers:
1.Pelvic floor training.
2.Analgesics if the pain is severe
3.Pudendal nerve block under Ultrasound/CT scan guidance.
Please practise yoga.
Nothing to worry
Wish you good health