Pain in abdomen, back. Had total gastractomy and liver liver resection for gastric cancer. Is the pain related to chemotherapy?

Oncologist
Question
Dear doctor,
My father is 57 years old and he had total gastractomy and liver resection due to gastric cancer. Before two days he reseved 6 cycle of FOLFOX. For the last 12 hours he is expiriencing pain in his abdomen and back. Ha had CT scan befor 2 weeks and everything is fine. Can the pain be related to the chemotherapy?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 26 minutes later
Hi

There may be multiple causes for persisting back and abdominal pain. One is obviously disease recurrence but as the CT scan 2 weeks back was normal, this is unlikely.

Chemotherapy may sometimes cause generalised body pains but this is not common in FOLFOX. Abdominal pain may be there after any chemotherapy due to inflammation in the intestinal mucosa; this heals with time. Did he have this in previous cycles also?

Another potential cause is GCSF (white cell increasing injection) given after chemo. I am not sure whether he had this injection this time or not.

And of course there may be other causes like musculoskeletal pain, etc.

If the pain persists then please contact your doctor. A thorough physical examination may clinch the diagnosis and if required a few tests may be ordered.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.

Follow-up: Pain in abdomen, back. Had total gastractomy and liver liver resection for gastric cancer. Is the pain related to chemotherapy? 7 minutes later
Thank you for your answer.
He didnt recived gcsf. His blood results are good. This is the first time that he is expiriencing a pain.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 16 hours later
Ok then the lilelihood of it being due to just chemo is low. If it persists for more than a few days then it should be investigated.

Follow-up: Pain in abdomen, back. Had total gastractomy and liver liver resection for gastric cancer. Is the pain related to chemotherapy? 14 hours later
Dear doctor i made a mistake. My father is also reciving docetaxel. The pain is gone but he was vomiting uesturday and today he hav nausia. Can docetaxel be related with pain?

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Yes, I think the pain was due to docetaxel. It is quite common to have these pains with it. Nausea and vomiting also are likely to be because of chemo. It will go away gradually.