Pain in abdomen and back with swollen lymph nodes and change in bowel. Family history of pancreatic cancer

I have been experiencing pain the upper left quad. of my abdomen and also my back. This has been on going for several weeks. Its been recently accompanied by swollen neck lyph nodes and a change in bowel habits. Stools have been toothpase like in consistency, lightly colored, and float. My brother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 29 and I know that a family history makes my risk greater.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be pancreatic cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern. However, pancreatic cancer seldom presents with red blood in stools. CT scan is also normal and hence I don't think you need to worry about it now. But if there are no perianal problems like piles or fissure and stool exam does not suggest colitis, a colonoscopy may be worthwhile. It can find out the cause of red blood in stools and rule out colon cancer. UTI should get controlled with antibiotics.

The neck glands need evaluation. If they are significant in size and consistency (as determined by a physician) then complete exam of ENT area and if required needle aspiration from the glands should be done.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Pain in abdomen and back with swollen lymph nodes and change in bowel. Family history of pancreatic cancer 5 minutes later
I have no had blood in stools since the end of July. I do not see swelling in the neck area but it is very tender to the touch. I also have been getting heachaxhes nightly. My biggest concerns are the upper left abdominal and back pain and the floating stools
I am so running a low grade temp 99.9
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later

Low grade temp may be because of UTI. Otherwise I feel that colitis is a possibility for which stool exam and colonoscopy will be required.

If there are no neck glands enlarged then I would not push you for further workup - that is unnecessary. As the CT scan is normal, many sinister things have been ruled out.