Pain in abdomen. CT scan came clear. Can you suggest some test to be done?

I am having a pain in my right abdominal area. Location is about 2-3 inches from the tip of hip bone in a radius of 2-3 inches. A CT Scan showed nothing, but the pain still presets and is steady getting worse. I am waiting for an appointment with a gastrologist,but in the mean time I am thinking I may just need to head to the ER. Any idea what I may need to suggest to be tested for?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Based on the site of involvement, I suspect you to have problems with liver and gallbladder. Such pains are progressive and increase in intensity unless treated.

A CT scan is not a good diagnostic tool to determine problems in soft tissue organs like liver, its ducts (Bile ducts), gall bladder and cystic duct. A MRI is good but a MRCP (Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography) is gold standard imaging modality to identify structural defects even in smaller structures like ducts.

It’s good to hear that you have an appointment with a gastroentrologist who may arrive at a diagnosis and place you on a specific management with the help of above investigation tools.

Meanwhile, for the pain you may take antispasmodics if it is too severe.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.