Pain from right side of head till shoulder, swelling in the back neck, Dr says its fat deposit. Why the pain ?

Hello Doctor,

From yesterday evening i have pain from right side of my head till the shoulder. it starts from back head to the shoulder.And a small swelling in the back neck(right side). This swelling used to come and go and it is there for years . it goes off when i rub volini. But this time i am feeling very tired.. and feeling as if i will fall any time. not sure if it is because of periods. two or three times i had consulted the doctor for this swelling, normally they take x-ray and say that iam alright. one doctor said that it is fat deposit. but why is it coming with pain.. that too only one side of the neck? please advice how to proceed with this.

Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 25 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the descriptions provided to me it looks like the swelling could be a Lipoma. Lipoma is a harmless benign tumor under the skin made up of fatty tissues. They are movable and soft when you touch them. You can get them anywhere and they usually disappear for awhile but they will always be in the same place you first noticed them in.

Most lipomas are symptomless, but some are painful on applying pressure. Lipomas that are tender or painful are usually angiolipomas (adiposis dolorosa or Dercum disease). This means the lipoma has an increased number of small blood vessels. Most lipomas require no treatment. Occasionally, lipomas that interfere with the movement of adjacent muscles or painful may require surgical removal.

My recommendation would be for you to use mild pain killers if it becomes painful. To confirm the diagnosis you may need to undergo needle biopsy. If now or later it becomes very painful, you may require surgical removal.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.