Pain from left front of the thigh and knee. Should I be concerned?

Yes my name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX 62 years of age, and have a terrible pain from my left front of the thigh and to my knee. When I walk, it is painful to walk straight, but more comfortablr to walk stooped. To reach up hurts as well. I have had a Laminectomy in the early 70's on the 5th Lumbar.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Age+hormones need care Detailed Answer: Hello Miss XXXXXXX As age progressess the degeneration of bones and articulations results in troubles like that. Also at this age when hormones reduce after menopause the strength of the bones also start to degenrate resulting in symptoms like that. its natural phenomenas and we can do our best to limit the progression.And weight bearing joints are mostly affected as in your case. and all a person can do is to be fully educated, modify lifestyle, lose weight, excercise, physical therapies and occupational therapies. acetaminophens can help relieve the pain and if that is not enough there are some intra articular( inside joint) administrations of glucocorticoids can be used. acetaminophens can be used upto 3,000 mg a day. previously there used to be hyaluronic acids but now they are no more recommended. people talk about wedge insoles, needle lavages, glucosamines and chondroitin sulfates as a treatment but they are not recommended any more. ypu need alittle investigations like plain radiographs, CT MRI scans, Bone scanning and arthrocentesis to assess the status. if the medicines and the non medicine approaches i mentioned didn't help i am afraid in that case you will need some Orthopaedic surgeons opinion regarding surgical interventions like arthroscopy, osteotomy, Arthroplasty etc. here are some tips that will help you use cardio vascular or resistant land based excercises, aquatic excercises ( a physiotherapists will help) weight loss use walking aid use thermal agents to warm them up as cold and immbobility adds to the trouble medially tap your patella gently use walking aids ther are some devices recently approved by FDA like electromagnetic field stimulators or TENS transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and has proved some good efficacies, try some if you can afford. regarding accupuncture ( American societies neither recommends nor forbids it) so up to you. i wish you a very good luck. i will be here if you need me regards Dr Khan