Pain from knee to calf, does not hurt to walk or jog. What is it?

I have sharp pain that runs from the back of my right knee to the upper portion of my calf. It does not hurt to walk or jog but when i try to explode or push off hard with the right leg I feel it a lot..Can you tell me what it is and how to treat it?
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A pain in the calf region on an increase in the activity could be due to-
1.Experiencing pain in legs and calf specially on walking indicates a vascular problem most likely.The pain may be caused by claudication caused by peripheral arterial disease (PAD), narrowing of the arteries that carry blood to your leg muscles.
2.Peripheral neuropathy- This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc.Chronic illnesses like alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiencies may also result in nerve pain that often affects legs. There are some illnesses that cause leg weakness that may be associated with complaints of leg pain, like Guillain-Barré syndrome and multiple sclerosis.

3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.
4. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.
All the above causes can be ruled out by your physician after some tests and examination.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.