Pain from armpit to shoulder blades, no bumps in armpit or breast

General Surgeon
Question
I have this "travelling" annoying pain that goes from my armpit to sometimes my shoulder blades, sometimes my upper right hand, or right side. It's never sharp, it comes and goes. Some days are more often than others. I don't feel any bumps or lumps in my armpit or my right breast.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 57 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such pain radiating from back to arm can be caused by spinal nerves irritation. The reason may be in your spinal bone, where this nerves comes from, or there can be a problem with compression of the nerve in carpal tunnel so called carpal tunnel syndrome. If you suffer also from tingling or numbness of your hand fingers that can be such syndrome.
More likely, your problem is in spinal bone. Such pain may be associated with headaches. To rule it out, you should visit neurologist and MRI of spinal bone may be necessary.
Sometimes, such symptoms may be also caused by ion shortage (especially low calcium level and magnesium level) that is why blood work is advisable as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Pain from armpit to shoulder blades, no bumps in armpit or breast 52 minutes later
The pain almost 100% of the time starts in my armpit. Then goes away. Comes back somewhere else, but always in the upper right "corner" of my body. However I never feel anything at night or while I am lying down. Also no tingling or numbness.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

So we can rule out any carpal tunnel syndrome. What I suggest you is to use some OTC non-steroids anti-inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen for about a week, and increase Magnesium and Calcium intake. If it wont help, you should visit neurologist as this might be spinal cord problem.

In the armpit there is a brachial plexus which can be a place where your pain starts.
Moreover, in this area, there is a lot of muscles which can be painful as well.
I just hope you have no other symptoms like shortness of breath, chest pain, fever, breast pain and there is no enlarged lymph nodes in your armpit.