Pain free after colon resection and ileostomy. Have recurrent nausea, vomiting, stomach drainage and gas. related?

General Surgeon
3wks post op ...relatively pain free after having colon resection and temp ileostomy. Recurrent nausea and occasional vomiting even though good drainage from stoma as well as gas. Could the fact that I had my gallbladder removed create this...I noticed I sometimes have large amt. of bile in my bag when I empty
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery complication should be ruled out at first.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Nausea and vomiting 3 weeks after such surgery can be caused by some surgery complication. It is also possible that nausea and vomiting are unrelated to the surgery.
First of all abdominal fluid collection, stones in the bile ducts and partial bowels obstruction should be ruled out.
Fluid collection (blood or bile for example) can give nausea and vomiting. Other possible symptoms are abdominal pain, fever, bloating.
Stones in the bile ducts usually give back pain, upper right abdominal pain. Stool can get occasionally whitish.
Partial bowels obstruction gives bloated abdomen. Pain is not necessary.

Unrelated to the surgery reason of nausea and vomiting is peptic ulcer or stomach inflammation. Symptoms are usually triggered by food.

I suggest you to visit your surgeon. Blood work (elevated WBC and CRP will indicate an inflammation) and abdominal ultrasound should be done at first. If this tests will be negative, gastroscopy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.