Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain following root canal treatment. Taking cpac, ibuprofen. Suggest something for speedy relief

My wifes got a bad rood canal needing fixed. Shes been taking a CPac and 3 ipubropen every 4 hours. CPac may be working but I pubropoen isn't doing the job. She's still moaining, restless, crying etc. Will the Lortab 5/500 be and improvement over the ipubropen and help here tolerate her pain?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 26 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

After a successful Root Canal Treatment , the canals are completely devitalised, disinfected and sealed to the apex, so there are no chances of pain.

I would like to tell you that analgesic and antibiotics will give temporary relief.

You need to visit to the Dentist get the clinical evaluation done, take an x-ray, which will give the periapical condition of the tooth, Depending upon which treatment will be decided.
Unless your tooth is devitalised, disinfected and sealed to the apex you will witness pain and infection.

After a root canal procedure, it is necessary to place a prosthetic crown as the tooth becomes brittle and it cannot withstand the masticatory forces and there are chances of fracture of tooth.

I would suggest you to continue with the antibiotics and take tab Aceclofenac TDS for five days and if you are having acidity take antacid rabeprozole 20 mg twice half hour before meal.

Use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice to prevent infection and give a soothing effect.

Hope this helps.

Dr Qazi Ammara.