Pain during periods, doctor suggested scan. Am diabetic. Worried about suggestion

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My wife is suffering ffrom very acute pain during her periods especially on her second day, today she is very very unbearable and has gone to the famility doctor who has suggested a scan to be taken, i am quite worried although its a regular thing of pain for all ladies during their menstual period ,why was the scan suggested?..my wife is a Diabetic but with controlled sugar levels..she is 38 years old.please advise.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 36 minutes later
hi,

some amount of pain during menstruation is common due to contraction of uterus in response to prostaglandins,
in some women severe pain can be seen in conditions like,
-narrow cervical canal,
-in case of retroverted uterus,
-in conditions like endometriosis, adenomyosis, fibroids,
-in case of pelvic inflammatory disease,
-emotional stress etc

most of these features can be detected by ultrasound, so because of that your doctor may adviced scan, as pain can get decreased by treating the possible cause, no need to worry.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pain during periods, doctor suggested scan. Am diabetic. Worried about suggestion 10 minutes later
Thanks Doctor Sree , my actual cause of worry is will there be an advise to undergo any surgery to rectify the above conditions , is this just to reduce the pain? or to bring down the pain to a manageable extent or to get rid of this acute conditions ? can it be treatable without any surgical procedures as i am away from her and she is managing on her own.Please suggest some remedial measures to avoid pain in such cases if there is a remedy without surgery.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later
hi,

most of the above conditions are treatable by medicines,
analgesics will help in reducing pain, hormonal pills can also be used to treat the causative factor,
if associated excessive bleeding is there anti-fibrinolytics can help,
in case of pelvic inflammatory disease antibiotics will help,
but in case of,
-big fibroid or more number of symptomatic fibroids,
-adenomyosis affecting contraction of uterus,
-endometriosis with chocolate cyst of >3cms diameter etc conditions may require surgery.

as above possibilities are not common, you don't get tensed, wait for ultrasound report depending on that treatment can be planned.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pain during periods, doctor suggested scan. Am diabetic. Worried about suggestion 1 hour later
Hi ,

The Scan Report has come and the doctor referred to a Surgeon who has confirmed for removal of appendix and also to do some cleaning near the liver as there are some extra growth and fatty substances found near the liver,they plan to do the procedure through Laproscopy, this i suppose is not a major thing and hope everything goes well. I thank you for your quick responses and perhaps would have helped you diagnose the best if there has been a thorough investigation, i thank for your moral support more than anything else which is lacking in many doctors today.I would definitely rate you 9/10 for empathesizing my situation and giving me good mental strength.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 48 minutes later
hi,

laparoscopic procedure is having advantages compared with open laparotomy,
in laparoscopy the incisions will be smaller, handling of tissue will be minimal and post-operative period will be less,
and also during procedure they can examine for any possible gynecological pathology, by this it will act as both therapeutic and diagnostic procedure, so it is a better option.

Wishing good health to your wife, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.