Pain due to coil, no periods happening, bleeding after taking herbal supplements or joint supplements for arthritis

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i have a XXXXXXX coil.. which for the last 2 years i get on and off pain with.... i do not have periods. But when i take any herbal supplements or even joint supplements ( as i have start of arthritus) i bleed...
i had the XXXXXXX coil 5 years previous with no problems. i had new coild changed on 31st oct 2009.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 51 minutes later

I understand your health concern.

As is your experience for the first five years, usually mirena does not cause undue pain or bleeding.
Now since the last two years if you are having pain, on & off, then the first thing to check is the position of the coil by an ultrasound pelvis, which can show if there is any displacement of coil and whether it is pressing upon the uterine wall or vessels,even if manual examination is normal.

Your bleeding correlated to herbal medications may be due to hormonal imbalance caused by the medications. kindly do not use excessive analgesics or herbal preparations as they have many side effects, it is advisable to consult your physician or an orthopaedic surgeon for your arthritis.

Another important thing to look out for is white discharge from vagina, if you experience foul smelling discharge or itching or excessive bleeding then seek prompt gynaecologic consultation to rule out infection or inflammation. This can be ruled out by thorough clinical examination by a doctor followed by few tests like complete blood counts, vaginal swab culture, urine test and ultrasound.

As of now it doesn't seem worrisome.

Last but not the least, having a balanced diet, plenty of water and regular exercise or yoga will help in balancing your body's hormones.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries.