Pain between shoulder blade and spine, hurts to sneeze or cough, hurts to touch. Do I need to get it checked out?

I believe I pulled a back muscle but am unsure. (I have a 30 pound 1year old which is not yet walking so that could have caused a tear? Between my left shoulder blade and spine I have major pains; sneezing, coughing and XXXXXXX breaths are out of the question. It hurts to touch the area as well. Any lifting shoots pain through that area and when I do sneeze it feels like a knife cutting into that region (or much like a charley horse) . Do I need to get it checked out? It usually lasts a few weeks then goes away but has now come back again.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 51 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Since this is occurring repeatedly, I would not pass it off as sore muscle in first go.

I think you need to get this evaluated as similar symptoms can be caused by lung or other musculoskeletal issues.

Atleast a primary clinical evaluation and if needed chest xray needs to be undertaken.

Mean while you can take oral painkillers.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.