Pain between ribs and chest area. What is recommended?

Hi..i have been having a pain between my ribs and chest area over the weekend. what do u recommend
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

From the symptoms that you have mentioned, I would suggest you to get a cardiac check up done first of all to rule out any cardiac cause as any chest pain is cardiac in origin unless proved otherwise. You need to get an electrocardiogram, blood tests (cardiac markers), cardiac stress testing and stress ECHO done to rule out any cardiac cause of this tightness and chest pain.

Secondly it can be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) that can cause such chest pain between ribs and chest. It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.