Pain below collarbone. Have Hashimoto's disease. Negative biopsy of thyroid nodules. Should the pain be checked?

Dec 2012

I have pain just below my collar bone on one side , It had been there for 2 months . Not very bothersome , but it is there all the time . I have Hashimoto's and am scheduled for complete thyroid removal in 3 weeks . Pain is on the same side where my biggest Thyroid nodules are . This side of my thyroid also gives a mild bruise- like feeling . I've had several negative biopsies of my thyroid nodules. I've been cared for by good endocrinologists for years . I see one every 6 months. They don't seem to be worried about this pain . Should I look into it ? What would be a best way to approach it? What I am trying to figure out is if it is possibly related to my thyroid or could it be something else?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I think the pain is related to your thyroid swelling or Hashimoto's thyroiditis and you do not have to bother much about it. The pain, if mild and not bothersome it is probably best to leave it. If after the thyroidectomy you still have the pain, it is most like a neuralgic pain probably due to compression as a result of the thyroid swelling. I am of the opinion of your endocrinologists to just leave the pain. If there are any indications of it becoming worst, I am sure your doctor's will know what to do.

Hope this helps and wish you the best of healths.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Pain below collarbone. Have Hashimoto's disease. Negative biopsy of thyroid nodules. Should the pain be checked? 28 minutes later
Thank you , Dr Bernard!
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
You are welcome and write me back anytime if you got any further questions.
Please if you are satisfied with my answer and have no further question can you accept my answer.
Thank you
Dr. Bernard