Pain below buttocks. Have hernia. Is this the cause of discomfort?

I im a 67 year old male and I am a Barber. Latley when I am standing or moving around my chair I get a pain just below my butt in my upper right back leg, it is releived when I sit on the area.
a Doctor told me in 1993 that I have a inagrual hernia and it been there since birth. It hasn't bothered me before but could this cause some of the disconfort ? or is their another cause.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

I would like to know more about this pain. Please do not mind to answer these.

1. What is the type of pain, is it shooting, dull aching or pulling type?
2. Does it get radiated to the legs as well?
3. Do you have any kind of swelling at the site of the pain?
4. Does it pain throughout the day?
5. Have you traveled long distance lately?

Please get back to me with the answers so that I can help you better and come to a conclusion among various possibilities.

I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Pain below buttocks. Have hernia. Is this the cause of discomfort? 7 hours later
The pain is kind of a dull aching pain that seem to be close to my back hip area. It only hurt when I am standing or walking in a close area..yes it travel down my leg some time
It does not bother me when walking at a normal pace. It feel better when I massage the area.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

By your description it looks more like the pain is originating from the sacral region with involvement of one of your nerves. That will explain why the pain is radiating to your leg.
I suggest you XXXXXXX an orthopedician for an x XXXXXXX of the back to see if the discs are pressing on your nerve. This condition is known as disc prolapse, which could be the cause for the pain. Please do not delay meeting your doctor as it might get worse with time.

You can take painkillers like tramadol to relieve the pain and apply diclofenac gel as a local applicant. Please ask your doctor for a prescription before starting them.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I wish you good health.