Pain below belly button, taking birth control pill. Any ideas what could be causing this?

May 2013
I have experience approximately 3 incidents of sharp stabbing pains about 1.5 inches directly below my belly button (I am guessing its my uterus) in the past 24 hours. They only last for a few seconds but they make me stop in my tracks. Doesn't seem like regular period pains or ovulation pains, my period is not due until the next weekend and I am on birth control pills. There may be a chance of pregnancy as I was on antibiotics for the past week and have had intercourse. Any ideas what this could cause this sharp stabbing pain, other than pregnancy? I was reading about ovarian cysts but the pain is directly below the belly button (I thought the pain would be at the side).
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

the possible causes for your pain are,
-urinary tract infection: when there is urinary infection you can have pain in the lower abdomen,
in case of renal caliculi also pain can radiate to lower abdomen but usually it will be colicky in nature,

-pelvic inflammatory disease: inflammation of the adnexa can lead to PID which can present with lower abdominal pain,

-some antibiotics can affect the efficacy of birth control pills, so though low there is possibility of pregnancy,
ovarian cyst can also lead lower abdominal pain but they not common while being on birth control pills.

-intestinal causes also sometimes present with this type of pain they can range from constipation to obstruction,

if you have repeated attacks of pain or if the intensity of the pain increases better to consult doctor once and get examined to rule out the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.