Pain behind left eye radiating to head, neck, temple & above ear, stiff neck. Taken motrin. Could this be TMJ?

Question
I have searing pain behind my left eye that radiates up the left side of my head and down my neck, into my temple and above my ear. My neck gets stiff and the pain is excruciating. Could this me TMJ? What can I do. Motrin 3 times a day helps some but it never goes completely away.
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later

The areas involved in pain include ones that get involved in TMJ but there would be severe pains associated with mouth opening and side movements.Hence, I do not consider it to be the problem here.Anyway its always good to be cautious, do get examined by a GP to ascertain the same.

The description of the pain you presented makes me suspicious of you having Tension Headache than a chance of having TMJ.

Such tension headache occurs in the presence of precipitation factors like:

Stress, usually occurs in the afternoon after long stressful work hours
Sleep deprivation
Uncomfortable stressful position and/or bad posture
Irregular meal time (hunger) , which also presents with gaseous abdomen.
Eyestrain

Tension headache is treated with natural methods like Yoga and meditation which improve the blood circulation and wash out the abnormal chemicals which accumulate in tension headache.

Also medications like Ibuprofen ,paracetamol and aspirin will work but the main and specific treatment when above fail is by medications amitriptyline,mirtazapine and venlafaxine.Do consult your GP for a better and suitable medication.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Pain behind left eye radiating to head, neck, temple & above ear, stiff neck. Taken motrin. Could this be TMJ? 33 hours later
Thank you for the information, you are right in that I do not have a lot of pain when I open my mouth, but the pain in my cheek area below my eye intensifies much more when I cough. This only occurs when the pain is at a 10 and above. Thank you for your answers they are greatly appreciated. I did some research on my own, and cluster headaches also match the symptoms. I didn't start having this trouble until I changed my eye prescription. Contacts helps some but I am also a student right now getting my Masters and the eye strain is probably my best bet. Thank you so much
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
You are welcome.

Both Cluster headche and tension headache are similar in many ways and the treatment is almost same for both.

Do ascertain the well being of the vision before you try any medications for your problem.

Wish you good health.

Please accept my answer with a review if it was satisfying.