Pain behind knee, on calf and leg, swollen, painful. Is it deep vein thrombosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been having a pain in my right leg for a number of weeks, it is in my calf and my XXXXXXX and a bit behind my knee . I am 26 years old and 5'9, 150lbs, not the typical risk factor for a dvt, but have googled it so much I have convinced myself. I saw a doctor and she didn't seem to concerned, she hardly looked though. It is not swollen but I keep having pain in my leg, I think I am probably making the pain worse than it needs to be. I did some light exercise a few weeks ago, but it seems like it has gone on for a long time.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Pain in the leg and calf without any swelling or tenderness is not likely to be due to DVT(Deep vein thrombosis). The more probable causes include-
1. Calf muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild symptoms.
2. Electrolyte imbalance- a simple blood test can rule this out.
3. Muscle ischaemia- associated with diabetes usually. There is acute pain associated with it.
4. XXXXXXX vein thrombosis- comes last among the list of probable diagnosis.
Color doppler of the limbs will rule out this possibility.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.