Pain at the same side of neck and throat, body ache, throat redness. Cure?

One side of neck is hurting. I looked at my throat and on the same side that hurts(what I'm guessing to be tonsils) is swollen and red. I don't have a fever but I am feeling very tired and my body is hurting. I was having the same symptoms about three weeks ago but it passed in about 3 days.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It s important to get a clinical evaluation by your physician. In case you also face difficulties or pain in swallowing, the possibility of this being a tonsil infection is highly probable It would be interesting to know if you had to take some drugs lately or not. In case you took drugs, for instance, tiredness you are experiencing could be associated to an infectious process, but needs to be evaluated also, within the context of your body actually hurting.
Do you have any past history of recurrent sore throat or tonsil infection in childhood? If yes, this could be associated with rheumatic fever, a complication of recurrent poorly treated sore throat, characterized by joint pain and heart disease.

You will need to get a clinical evaluation by your physician. Poorly treated sore throat or tonsilitis could lead to the formation of abscesses. When an abscess is formed, it is characterized by pain, general body or joint pains and a general feeling of being unwell. An early diagnosis is the key to appropriate, cheap and effective treatment at low cost, with complications being averted.

My suggestion is that you consult your primary care physician for a proper clinical evaluation and adequate blood tests to ascertain the actual cause and extent of your symptoms.Thanks and hope this helps,

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Pain at the same side of neck and throat, body ache, throat redness. Cure? 1 hour later
I haven't taken any kind of medicen. Also my throat and neck hurt when I try to look to the left or right. I do have a history of strep although my childhood and young adult life(this doesn't feel like that). My work doesn't provide insurance nor do I make enough to pay out of pocket. That's why I chose to find something online to see if I can treat it at home. No white patches or pus in or on my throat
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand perfectly your concern, but it would very appropriate to consult a doctor and rule out bacterial infections. If feasible you can consider one of low cost clinics/free clinics and get bacterial throat infections excluded.

Home based options that can be tried are:
1. Rapid strep test kit can be used to determine whether or not you have streptococcal infection.
2. Warm saline gargles to control the spread of infection

That being said, a clinical exam is indispensable for an appropriate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
And follow up is a key aspect in the treatment process. Therefore I still strongly recommend you see a primary care physician first, and get appropriate treatment and followup.

Hope this answers your query.

Best Regards,
Luchuo, MD.