Pain at the end of tailbone while sitting, soft and sticky stools. What is the problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
When i sit down it feels like there is a tennis ball at the end of my tailbone and it feels like it is being squashed. When sitting in an upright position it feels like i am sitting directly on top of the ball. Sitting is painfull. There is no pain when not sitting, just a very very mild throbbing. If i need a poo, then there is a pain at the end of my tailbone, even when standing up. My poo has become softer and stickier over the past few months - taking me longer to clean myself. Can you advise what the problem is?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
From your description it seems that you are having inflammation of the sacrococcygeal joint or coccydynia.
You need a thorough evaluation by an Orthopedician for Coccydynia. Your Doctor will examine you and suggest further tests like, lateral X-ray of the coccyx to rule any fracture of coccyx. He/she may also order CT scan or MRI scan if it is clinically necessary.

Once confirmed, treatment is conservative which involves analgesics for Coccydynia along with Physiotherapy. Surgery is considered in severe cases.

You can follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, this will avoid constipation and pain while passing stools.
2.) Apply ice packs or heat pads to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day.
3.) You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This has a hole in the middle of it to prevent your tailbone from contacting the flat surface and thus avoiding pain.
4.) Avoid sitting for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.