Pain at the back of right calf while playing kickball. Tried icing, swelling and pain persists. What to do?

Question
Hi. I am a 36-year-old female. I was playing kickball last Friday and when I went to kick, I felt an incredible pain at the back of my right calf. I thought someone had kicked me in between the two calf muscles. My leg swelled immediately and I was unable to fully flex my foot without severe pain. II assumed it was a slight achilles tear. I have iced and elevated my right leg for a week. There is a still a little pain left there, and I still don't have the ability to walk flat-footed. However, the bublk of the pain has now moved more to the left side of my calf where there is a lot of yellow bruising and what looks like a horizontal line bulging a little (a vein maybe?). I am not sure what to do from thhis point on. Should I still be icing, or should I be using a heating pad? When should I start stretching the calf muscle again so it doesn't stay so tight? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

The symptoms that you are having are suggestive of a torn muscle. The injured area will be tender to the touch, and you may experience swelling and bruising.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1)     Provide complete rest and avoid overuse of the calf for some days to prevent any repeated trauma.
2)     Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor. These include Diclofenac or Ibuprofen.
3)     Supportive shoes that lessen tension on tendons may also help. You may use a splint or a removable brace to help keep the tendons still.
4) Stretching the muscles and tendons of the calf can help with some causes of calf pain. But this should be done when the inflammation subsides and should be done under a physical therapist's guidance.

If the symptoms are severe then you may need to get a MI of the area done.

ce treatment is most commonly used for acute injuries. If you have a recent injury (within the last 48 hours) where swelling is a problem, you should be using ice treatment. Applying an ice pack early and often for the first 48 hours will help minimize swelling. Heat treatments should be used for chronic conditions to help relax and loosen tissues, and to stimulate blood flow to the area. So after cold compresses, you can shift to warm compresses after a few days.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.

Follow-up: Pain at the back of right calf while playing kickball. Tried icing, swelling and pain persists. What to do? 2 hours later
My friend is a paramedic and after describing my symptoms to him, he recommended going to urgent care because there may be a tear in one of the XXXXXXX calf muscles that could possibly cause a pulmonary embolism. He said to go just to be safe since it has been a week and these specific symptoms are occurring. Would you agree?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

If you are moving and not bed ridden then chances of thromboembolism and pulmonary embolism are less. However I would suggest you to get it evaluated from your doctor if even after conservative measures, the symptoms persist.

Wishing you a good health.