Pain around collar bone, normal ECG, continuous pain. Is this really a muscle pull?

Hi doctor
Last few days, I had a pain around my collar bone..somewhere near to the clavicle area...when i consulted a general physician, he asked me to go for a ECG as the pain was on the left side. But ECG came normal...he gave me some acidity medicines and within few days the pain subsided...again after two months I had the same pain..which is not severe, or continuos, but there is some discomfort when I get the pain. That pain stays for 5 seconds and stops. Again i went to a different physiscian and he said could be a muscel pull . And gave me Myospaz only if the pain continuos...I did not take that medicine. Because by that time the pain disaapeared. I have observed, I get the pain, when I am doing my regular exrcises, and also when I hold my lap top bag. For the last ten days I stopped exercising and holding the bag. I found there is no pain.
Is this really a Muscel Pull ?. I can manage to get away with holding my bag, But in my day to activities, I have to do my domestic household work. I cannot avoid that. Should I continue exrcising as I have been doing that for the last 6 to 7 years. I am 38 years old.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
The pain you are having is most likely to be a muscular spasm as the pain got relieved on avoiding strenuous activity. In the absence of adequate rest, such muscular pains may persist for many weeks also.
It is best to provide the rest to your arm as much as you can. Avoid lifting any weights. Doing hot fomentation of the area will help with the healing.
You can take mild pain killers in the times of acute pain for relief. Doing physiotherapy after consulting your Orthopedician will be helpful.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Pain around collar bone, normal ECG, continuous pain. Is this really a muscle pull? 42 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor.

Shall i continue with my exercises ? I do more off cycling and rowing tht oinvolves only leg movements...I am avoiding any arm or hand movements

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can continue with the exercise as long as it does not involve any weight lifting or weight bearing by your arms. You can resume all the exercises once the pain is over.
Till then, cycling and rowing can be continued without arm movements.
Hope my answer is helpful.