Pain around cheekbone and eye. Taken paracetamol and Amitriptyline. Could this have been caused by anesthesia?

I have had severe pain around cheekbone and eye area on one side of my face since May,not too bad in morning, but increasing as day goes on making it almost unbearable by bedtime.Also area is normal in colour in morning, appearing bruised (dark brown) by end of day.Started taking Paracetamol, then Doctor prescribed Amitryptilene 25mg at night,was relieving pain but I found it made me drowsy and absent-minded. I have 2 children to care for so this was not working for me, so it has been reduced to 10mg, which I am taking along with two or three doses of Paracetamol(2x500mg) daily.Have had CT and MRI scans, ruling out Dental, sinus, optical problems,but scans reveal nothing. I am hibernating at moment as it is much worse if I go out in cold, damp or windy weather. I had a hysterectomy in April. Could this have been caused by the anaesthetic? Can you help?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query

Regarding the unilateral headache with discolouration of the face getting worse as the day goes on i feel probably you are suffering from hemicrania continuua (type of headache). This type of headche responds to various medicines and tryptomer is one of them. However i am sure this headache is not related anaesthesia used in the past.

If tryptomer is not helping you and causing side effects you can try other medicines like topiramate. However all these medicines have drowsiness as a side effect at initiation and later develop tolerance to it. I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating problem. The bottom line is you need to discuss this option with your GP and adjust your medications.

I thank you again for submitting the query. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R