Pain and tenderness in arm, coincides with pain on shoulder blade

Upper tricep painI have pain and tenderness at the back of my upper right arm. Tender to touch. Coincides with pain also around my right shoulder blade.
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The pain around the shoulder and the tricep region are most likely to be related. To be able to comment on the cause, and the appropriate treatment, I would need some more information from you:
a. Have you sustained any injury/trauma to this region?
b. Do you do weight training or pick up heavy weights as such?
c. what is your profession?
d. Are you receiving any medication?
e. Is the pain associated with any tingling/numbness/movement issues?
f. Have you had such an issue in the past?

Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Pain and tenderness in arm, coincides with pain on shoulder blade 11 hours later
Hi. I dont weight lift or do much exercise at all. My job as a store manager mainly has me behind a desk but I did twist my right upper back when pushing a bunch of shopping trolleys about 8 months ago. I am currently on Nexium Hp7 as I have helicobacter. My other blood tests showed normal for renal, liver and pancreas function. The shoulder pain sometimes radiates to my mid/upper right back (where I twisted it). I can not feel any lumps or swelling around my arm or armpits, its just sore. As for movement, I cant seem to reach around my back with my right arm as far as I can with my left. A previous doctor said it was muscle strain (from trolleys) but it just wont go away.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Although muscle strain is a very likely possibility, it could be a ligament tear as well. The only way to rule that out would be a physical exam followed by a MRI ( if the need arises). Since you're taking Nexium, oral NSAID's is not something you should be taking. A topical diclofenac ointment and hot fomentation would relieve the pain ( irrespective of the cause of the pain).
Please see your physician if the pain has been persisting for >2 weeks
Let me know if you have any more questions