Pain and swelling on leg. Feeling difficulty to walk. Found fluid accumulation. Do I need surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My brother started complainig of pain behind the limb just below the knee on the right leg and has difficulty in walking as if it is a catch. There is a slight swelling.Doctor told that it is due to fluid accumulation and asked him to take bed rest for 1 week, and still if it is not reducing he has to undergo a surgery.
kindly let me know what is the cause for such a condition and also the treatment.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Your History suggests that your brother is suffering from Poplitial cyst/ Bakers cyst.
Baker's cyst is a buildup of joint fluid (synovial fluid) that forms a cyst behind and below the knee.

1)Continue Resting the affected knee and keep the leg elevated whenever possible.
2)Use a cold pack or ice wrapped in a protective covering to ice the affected area when it's bothering him.
3)Use a knee sleeve or brace for compression.
4)Gentle range-of-motion and strengthening exercises for the muscles around a knee also may help to reduce the symptoms and preserve knee function.
5)His Doctor may inject a corticosteroid medication, such as cortisone, into the knee to reduce inflammation.
6)His doctor may drain the fluid from the knee joint using a needle. This is called needle aspiration and is often performed under ultrasound guidance.

He may discuss with his doctor for surgery to remove the cyst if it doesn't resolve and it affects your joint movement.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query,rate and give your reviews if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.