Pain and swelling on foot after injury. X-ray showed mild fracture in toe. Should I put a splint?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor,

Yesterday a small child pushed a iron chair unknowingly on my wife's foot. She was having terrible pain and little swelling. We showed to an ortho doctor he took the x-ray and said there is a mild fracture in the right toe. He adviced a spoon splint for 3 weeks for the toe but it was not available so he placed icecream stick and put some micropore tape around. That tape isnt so strong he told daily we can remove and dress with the stick in the same way. Wanted to know if this is ok or do we need to put the splint or someother.
For pain he gave one injection and prescribed tablets HIFENAC P- Twice a day for 5 days and PHLOGAM thrice for 5 days.

Please advice for speedy recovery.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

For fracture right toe she need immobilization of toe for 3 weeks. It is not advisable to remove the splint or strapping daily. It will hamper the healing process. I advice for the buddy strapping (strapping of great toe with 2nd toe) or splint to immobilize it.

I also advice her to not put weight over the great toe. She can put her weight over her heel to walk.

Continue the prescribed medicine by your doctor for 5 days. It will help to reduce the inflammation and pain.

So do not worry, follow these advice, she will recover soon.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing her speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.