Pain and swelling in the vagina. Causes and treatment?

Hi, one side of my vagina is swollen i am not sexually active and there is no bumps, it hurts only a little.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 52 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Since you have a history of Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a swollen painless lymph node has to be ruled out or else it could be Vulvodynia. Since Hodgkin's affects the lymphatic system, which is part of your immune system, it compromises your body's ability to fight infections.

Vulvodynia is a condition which causes pain in the area around the opening of your vagina (vulva) for which there is no identifiable cause. In view of the fact that you have tenderness over it, it is important to have a skilled Gynecologist rule out more easily treatable causes with related symptoms such as yeast or bacterial infections and skin conditions. Once your doctor has evaluated your symptoms, he/she can recommend treatment or guide you in managing it.

As a part of his/her examination, your doctor will do a pelvic assessment and collect a sample of cells from your vagina using a sterile swab to test for an infection. Once the cause is found out, your treatment will be devised accordingly.

You can undertake the following at-home self care measures for symptomatic relief:

- Perform sitz bath using warm water thrice daily for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Apply heat pads or cold packs.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting undergarments.
- Avoid hot tubs.
- Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Seek immediate medical help, if you happen to notice worsening of symptoms, burning sensation, abnormal vaginal discharge or itching.

Hope this answers your query, I will be glad to answer if you have a follow-up query.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Pain and swelling in the vagina. Causes and treatment? 37 minutes later
its not the vulva its the outerpart that is swollen could it be anything else?I found a bump down their it feels hard, it's on the outer part not the inner parts of the vagina, can you help me, please follow up, thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 32 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

You had not mentioned earlier that you have a bump. Anyways, as I said in my previous answer, it could be a enlarged lymphnode or a Bartholin's cyst. Both have to be ruled out.

If you frequently shave off the pubic hair, an infection of the hair follicle can present as lump and pain. If so, you can use an over the counter antibiotic cream.

If it is a lymphnode, it could be due to the Hodgkin's or if it is a Bartholin's cyst, you might just need sitz bath. If rare cases you might require surgical drainage.

If none of the above help, get a Opinion from a Gynecologist so that he/she may confirm it. Follow the self care measures which I had already discussed, Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.