Pain and swelling in the foot after a sudden cramp, discoloration of the foot. Is it due to popping of blood vessel?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Had sudden cramp on my right foot I couldn't feel my toes and the pain was intense. I had to sit down because when I put weight on my door it hurt more. I am a healthy 26 year old female and have never had any health problems. I am on my feet a lot but I wear supportive shoes. The cramping subsided after 30 minutes and later that night it was still tender. When I took my socks off that night the top of my foot was black and blue? Is this just a blood vessel popping? Should I be concerned about this?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later

After a sudden cramp on the foot, appearance of pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc are all indicative of hematoma formation either due to a fracture.

For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.

I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -

1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pain and swelling in the foot after a sudden cramp, discoloration of the foot. Is it due to popping of blood vessel? 8 hours later
Could a hairline fracture be the case even if my foot did not hit anything? It happened very suddenly while I was just walking casually. I did not bump or fall or hit my foot in any way. They bruising has faded now and its slightly swollen and tender to touch and is sensitive to weight.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Sudden acute muscle cramp can result in fracture sometimes even if there is no direct injury. Swelling and tenderness with pain on bearing weight might just be a take mild pain killers meanwhile for the pain relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.