Pain and swelling in the finger with restricted movement after injury. Slight distortion and numbness. No fracture

Six weeks after my fingers were crushed by falling sash window now have a hard lump on middle finger, where there was a laceration. Fingers still quite swollen and top of middle finger is slightly distorted to right. Feels a bit numb sometimes. Had x XXXXXXX at time of accident and no fracture was seen, but still painful and restricted movement in middle finger.
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 43 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The symptoms of hand injuries can vary depending on the type of injury, how the injury occurred (mechanism), depth, severity, and location.
Common symptoms of hand injuries
Tenderness (pain)
Decrease range of motion (difficulty moving)
Fractures and dislocations
Your lump on middle finger at the site of laceration is probably due the muscle lump formed due to stitches.
Restriction of movement is expected and shall go away with passage of time and with regular hot saline fomentation.
Since there was no fracture at the time of accident,there is nothing to worry as you shall regain your normal finger movements.

Most hand injuries will heal without significant loss of function if evaluated by a doctor soon after the injury. Almost all hand injuries require a medical evaluation because even the most insignificant hand injuries have the potential for serious or crippling loss of function.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Pain and swelling in the finger with restricted movement after injury. Slight distortion and numbness. No fracture 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply.

I did not receive any stitches, just steri-strips and the wound was cleaned in the ED. My main concern is the middle finger distortion/swelling and tenderness even after six weeks post injury.

My job requires manual dexterity/lifting - any rough idea how long this type of injury will take to heal?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Although very difficult to put an exact time frame,but I suppose you shall be fine in another 4 to 6 weeks.
Hot saline fomentation of fingers is very important and must be done daily.