Pain and swelling in calf. Purple discoloration on foot. How long will it take for cure?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Suffered a cramping of the right calf last Saturday in a martial arts drill. The calf is mildly swollen and there is some purple discoloration at the lateral base of the right foot. The calf remains mildly swollen one week later. I am elevating it when I can and taking Eleve to help with the pain. The area up just behind the toes also remains swollen. How long will the swelling continue? I do have the ankle wrapped with an elastic ace bandage.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us
Your symptoms should take about a week-10 days to resolve. It seems that you have suffered from soft tissue injury.Give as much rest as you can to your injured leg for speedy recovery.

Aspirin that you are taking will help in decreasing the pain. You should also take muscle relaxant like chlorzaxone one tablet twice a day along with Tablet Prevacid 20 one tablet once a day one hour before meals. You can also take serratiopeptidase preparation two to three times a day to reduce the swelling. You will need a prescription from your physician for this.
Application of pain relieving gel after hot fomentation will be beneficial. Continue using the elastic bandage for support and elevation of limb. It will take few days for complete recovery.

If the problem persists, get yourself examined by an Orthopedic surgeon.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Pain and swelling in calf. Purple discoloration on foot. How long will it take for cure? 16 hours later
Thanks much, doctor. Have a good weekend! How long will the discoloration on the lower foot persist?

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Discolouration in lower foot will perhaps persists for few days to weeks. Do not worry, it will resolve by itself.

If you have any further query, I will be glad to address it.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.