Pain and swelling appeared after knee meniscus surgery. What is the cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had left knee meniscus surgery (meniscetomy-lateral and medial) on 11-19-12. Pain and bone against bone sensation is occurring in the left knee. The left knee is also swollen. The pain and swelling are the same as before the surgery. What is the problem
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain and the feeling of bone against bone is likely to be due to a decrease in joint lubricants in the area and an inflammation.
It mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches, quadriceps drill can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
6. Generally we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.